SpedEx is Fast!
After an IEP has been rejected, or mediation or a hearing request has been filed...
1. Contact us as to learn whether the case may be appropriate for SpedEx.
2. Ask the other party (parent or school) to agree to engage the SpedEx dispute resolution process.
3. Parties jointly select 1-3 SpedEx Consultants they will agree on to review the case. Notify the SpedEx administrator of order of preference (first choice may not always be available).
4. SpedEx administrator contracts with one Consultant to review the case. Parties are notified.
5. School administrator facilitates permissions for Consultant to enter school facilities, access student records, observe, and interview appropriate school staff.
6. Consultant then has approximately 30 school days to interview parties, which may include the child, observe, review relevant documents, and prepare a report advising the parties on FAPE and LRE to resolve their dispute.
7. Following delivery of the report to the parties by the SpedEx administrator, parties meet to discuss adopting the Consultant's recommendations. If they agree, they then sign an IEP reflecting their agreement (suggested: agreement decision made within 10 days, with placement of the child within 30 days).
If they reject the Consultant's recommendations (Or at any time), they may pursue their due process rights...
8. Regardless of the parties' decision, the SpedEx Consultant's report becomes part of the child's permanent school record.
9. If the SpedEx Consultant's recommendations are adopted, parties may request the Consultant to make a follow-up observation and report within 30 days of placement.
10. At the conclusion of the SpedEx process, the SpedEx administrator contacts both parties to solicit their opinions on the SpedEx process.
You may consult the SpedEx administrator at any stage of the process.